My cousin is spending quite a bit of time in South America, and he wants to change his Yahoo! Mail account to display user interface elements in Spanish instead of English. He asked me for help, and sure enough, there was nothing useful at the Yahoo! Mail Help site. I tried it out on my account, and these are the steps I had to go through to get it to work:
- When you go to Yahoo! Mail, at the top of the screen next to the Yahoo! logo, you’ll see a link that says “My Account”. Click that link.
- The next page says “Review My Account Information” and it has a section entitled “Member Information”, right below the Name/Yahoo ID, Yahoo Mail Address/Password section. Click the “Edit” link to the right of the “Member Information” to go to the next page.
- This page should say “Edit Member Information for: johnsmith” at the top. The third section says “General Preferences”. It says “Preferred Content: Yahoo! U.S.”. Click the “Yahoo! U.S.” link.
- On this page, find the “New Setting” pull-down menu and pick the choice you want (“Yahoo! U.S. in Spanish” or “Yahoo Argentina” or whatever). Click the “Finished” button.
- Accept the new terms of service (which should be displayed in Spanish) by clicking the “Accepto” button.
- Click the “Terminado” button to complete everything and go back to Yahoo Mail. It should be displayed in Spanish now.
It’s good that you’re able to do this (I imagine that some webmail sites won’t let you change your language preference at all after registering) but it shouldn’t be this hard.