Timely‘s WordPress Calendar plugin doesn’t interoperate well with RFC 2445 iCalendar feeds that contain all-day untimed events specified by both DTSTART and a DURATION:P1D. Instead of interpreting them as a one-day all-day event, it seems to interpret them as a two-day event.
I examined a half-dozen calendar apps to see how they generate these kinds of events and here’s what I found:
Since the overwhelming majority seem to use both DTSTART + DTEND, I may change Hebcal’s feeds to follow suit. I’ll need to do some interop testing with older versions of Microsoft Outlook for Windows first.
Many years ago I set up a site search on radwin.org using a tool called ht://Dig. It was a C/C++ app that would spider/crawl a website and also serve out search results in an HTML-friendly fashion through a CGI.
The rest of the world moved onto Lucene/Solr, but I never bothered to make the move – in large part because htdig was good enough, and in part because DreamHost doesn’t support Tomcat/J2EE in their shared hosting environment (I don’t blame them).
The last time I successfully compiled htdig was on October 31, 2005. DreamHost has upgraded hardware several times, and the old 32-bit binaries have continued to run. Recently they did another server migration/upgrade, and finally everything broke. I tried recompiling both the stable 3.1.6 (released February 2002) and the most recent release (3.2.0b6, released June 2004) but neither compiles cleanly with gcc 4.4.
radwin.org got compromised recently due to some sort of server-side vulnerability. Was it a MovableType bug? Some stale version of phpBB or a vulnerability in the ancient copy of PHP4 itself? Who the heck knows. I did a slash and burn and removed all stale PHP/CGI stuff and upgraded to PHP5. Looks like I got rid of it.
As a side effect, I’m saying goodbye to MovableType and taking the leap to WordPress. Maybe that way that blog I actively authored from 2002-2006 will actually avoid bit-rotting. Certainly this version looks a helluva lot better on lots of different devices, thanks to the whole “responsive” web design movement.
There’s going to be a bunch of broken links. Oh well. It’s a good thing that we’ve got search technology for anyone who really cares to find some ancient content I wrote.
Came across a couple of good tools today that replace the cool Photocastr app to give you batch/bulk access to your Flickr images in various sizes/resolutions:
Flickr Feed Image Re-sizer from Yahoo! Pipes. I’m using this to subscribe feeds in iPhoto and also for a Mac OS X screensaver. Default RSS feeds from Flickr only come in a Small size, which isn’t good enough for anything. Some simple regexes (hosted by Y! Pipies) can easily convert from small to Medium, Large, or Original size. Nice. This tool is free.
Bulkr, an Adobe AIR app that lets you download in bulk/batch your Flickr images. I plan to use this to fill up an SDHC card and still into the digital picture frame I recently purchased. There’s a free version and a $29.95 Bulkr PRO version with more features.
David Jeske has inspired me to upgrade MovableType on radwin.org to a more modern version. Pretty seamless upgrade so far to MT 4.12 personal, but good golly, that’s a way different UI than I’m used to.
[Update: Damn, I need some anti-spam comment plugins. Now that I'm back on a more modern version of MT, the spammers are back.]
Tales of a software engineer who keeps kosher and hates the web.